Saturday, December 15, 2018

What I Wish for You

December is the last month of the year.  In teacher world, we often think it's June.  Unfortunately, the holidays have a funny way of making things unusually hectic and causing people (myself included) to always keep looking ahead for "What's next?"

In terms of leadership this week, I've been seeing clues everywhere telling me to slow down, to stop looking ahead of the curve and instead, take time to enjoy the moment.  So in a time that prompts anxiety to get everything done, here are lessons that called out to me.

1) This is a photo I often stare at in the Guidance Office of my school:  "Between stimulus and response, there is a space.  In that space is our power to choose our response."  - Victor Frankel

Amazing. 


I often think about how many unexpected incidents that arise in our daily schedules as educators and I notice how hard it must be for administrators to be given a role of being held accountable to situations that are beyond their control.  My big take away from this quote is simply believing that the one constant is how we can always control the way we respond to each situation.

2) In closing out this year, I saw a quote from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl that embodies the spirit of being open-minded... and to "watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places."  

Take time to slow down, look around, and actively search for the secrets hidden in the most unlikely places.  Recently, I have felt that these treasures are not all that "hidden" and have always been right there in plain sight.

My stake in the ground: "Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."  This applies to everything in leadership.  Open your eyes, your ears, and your mind.  Opportunity is right there for you.  Once you see it, muster up the courage to seize it. You will never regret trying. 


3) Lastly, the most important lesson I learned this week is "Greatness is not what you have, but what you give."  Servant Leadership at its best is not thinking twice to give your time and effort to others.  This year, I am extremely grateful for those who gave me their time thus making me stronger and kinder.  For that, I am eternally grateful.  



 So as we close out the last month of the year, my wish for you is to have more opportunities.  More opportunities to enjoy the moment.  More opportunities to find those hidden treasures and most of all, more opportunities to experience the joy of giving during this holiday season.  

Have a wonderful Holiday Season and here's to a New Year of even more possibilities.




What I Wish for You