Sunday, March 11, 2018

Teacher Leadership and the Ideal Classroom

Learner-Centered Innovation: Week 2, Season 4 #IMMOOC
Image via DevOps

Dr. Katie Martin expresses that, "teacher leaders can serve as linchpins that move systems and structures to a culture of learning and make a significant impact for those they serve."

The way that I try to create and improve my innovation ecosystem is to lead and participate in a bridging committee between the Middle School and High School World Languages Department.  Yes, it is rewarding, but it might just be the most frustrating educational experience I have ever participated in.

Vertical and horizontal alignment buzzwords aside, it's been a rocky road from the beginning.  I was so ill-prepared on how to lead it, this year we had no other alternative than to hit the reset button. Mission Impossible commences.

Slowly though, we are moving together and paving a path of least resistance.

One reason I am so obsessed with this PLCs is that I strongly believe in the concept of Teacher Leadership and Collective Teacher Efficacy as being the most effective denominator of student achievement.

For me, this is a non-negotiable and PLCs are exactly the strength-based teacher driven change that Dr. Martin mentioned in her book.  This is my way of trying to improve my ecosystem.  Despite major setbacks we experienced as a team, I will not give up.  Our work is too important.


The question was posed of what does our ideal classroom look like?

There are so many factors and @RichViolanti's post nailed it when he writes these tenants:


In addition to his list, I would look for a teacher whose passion clearly shines.  The classroom is nothing but a vessel if there is no one passionate about what they are learning and creating.

Below is also a picture of George Couros' 8 Things to Look for in Today's Classroom:


______________________









What I Wish for You