Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Learning How to Rest and Not to Quit

I'm writing this post to think through a hardship I encountered leading a PLC.

Many books on Instructional and Educational Leadership that I have read give really great advice on how to be a great leader, but very few actually give you guidance on when to stop a project because you feel like it's causing more harm than good.

I am by no means a quitter.  I absolutely understand that grit and resilience are factors that allow a group of people to make a change.  Especially in the hardest of times when you feel like it's going nowhere. 

But thinking this through, where do you draw the line between grit and just plain too stubborn to stop?

It's no secret every leader has faced self-doubt.  I wonder though, is self-doubt your subconscious telling you that you are headed in the wrong direction? I don't have the answer to that.

I guess it is normal to feel the urge to quit.  Leading has always been messy.  Hopefully, clarity will present itself after a break away from it.  Disconnecting might just be the answer that I need.

The quote below does resonate with me... although I have to admit I don't think my leadership capabilities are there yet.




What I Wish for You